This gallery contains 4 photos.
The Orchha Fort was built following the founding of the Orchha State in 1501 AD by Rudra Pratap Singh. The Orchha Fort complex houses a large number of ancient monuments consisting of the fort, palaces, temple and other edifices. It is located in Orchha town in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh.
The fort complex, accessed from an arched causeway, leads to a large gateway followed by a large quadrangular open space which is surrounded by palaces such as Raja Mahal or Raja Mandir, Sheesh Mahal, Jahangir Mahal, a temple, gardens and pavilions. Notable architectural features in the fort complex are projected balconies, open flat areas and decorated latticed windows.
In and Around Orchha
The Kajuraho Temple Site, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is a group of Hindu and Jain temples. The temples are famous for their nagara-style architectural symbolism and their erotic sculptures.
Most Khajuraho temples were built between 950 and 1050 by the Chandela dynasty. Historical records note that the Khajuraho temple site had 85 temples by the 12th century, spread over 20 square kilometers Of these, only about 25 temples have survived, spread over 6 square kilometers. Of the various surviving temples, the Kandariya Mahadeva Temple is decorated with a profusion of sculptures with intricate details, symbolism and expressiveness of ancient Indian art.